Professor Shehu Garki Ado (Wazirin Garki)
Prof. Shehu Garki Ado, who until recently was the Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Institute of Agricultural Research (IAR), Ahmadu Bello University, Samaru Zaria has joined the board of Global Biofuels Ltd.
While at IAR, Prof Ado co-ordinated the collaborative efforts between his Institute and Global Biofuels Ltd which successfully implemented the pilot programme for the commercialization of sweet sorghum as the world’s most promising feedstock for the sustainable production of fuel ethanol. Leading a very strong team of Scientists, which includes such notable names as Prof S.B Tanimu, Prof Abba, and Dr. Yeye, Prof Ado helped the company to developed thirteen(13) sweet sorghum varieties, all of which were crossed with imported varieties to produce even better varieties that are disease resistant and containing more sugar and biomass for commercial production.
While welcoming Prof. Ado to GBfL, our Chairman Dr JO Sanusi hopes his arrival will add another feather to the cap of our company especially in the areas of Research and Development even as we strive to make the West Africa Sub-region the biofuels capital of the world.
We present Prof. Ado’s impressive Curriculum Vitae as follows:
Professor Ado was born on the 24th August 1957 in Garki, Jigawa State. He obtained B.Sc. Agriculture from Ahmadu Bello University Zaria in 1979 and joined Ahmadu Bello University as a Graduate Assistant in 1980. In 1983, he obtained M.Sc. in Crop Breeding in the same University. He obtained a Ph.D in Plant Breeding in the same University in 1991. He has also attended several courses in Agricultural related courses in Nigeria and overseas including:.
- 1995, Advanced Agro-technologies, Ben-Gurion University of Negev, Israel with an International Certificate
- International Certificate in Applied Plant Breeding, Wageningen, Agricultural University, Netherlands.
- International Certificate Course in Advance QPM Training Course, CIMMYT Mexico in 2002
- International Certificate course in Biological Fertilizer Technology Baoding, Republic of China in 2003
Prof. Ado also obtained International Certificate on Farmer Participatory Methods for On-Farm Testing and Evaluation of Varieties, Kumasi, Ghana in 1998.
Prof Ado’s work experience with Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) and Jigawa State College of Agriculture as detailed below:
- Oct 1980 – Graduate Assistant
- Oct 1981 – Assistant Research Fellow
- Oct 1984 – Research Fellow II
- Oct 1987 – Research Fellow I
- Oct 1990 – Senior Research Fellow
- Oct 1996 – Principal Research Fellow
- Oct 2001 – Professor
Prof Ado has also held prominent Agricultural Research appointments locally and internationally from 1993 to date. He is currently the Executive Director of the Institute of Agricultural Research (IAR) Samaru, Zaria, Nigeria.
A seasoned agricultural expert, Prof Ado is a member of many Agricultural Societies; namely:
- Life member, Horticultural Society of Nigeria
- member, Genetic Society of Nigeria 1983
- member, Forestry Association of Nigeria 1995
- member, Biotechnology Society of Nigeria 2005 amongst others.
To his credit, Prof Ado has published and co-authored many Research Journals not less than 20 publications.